Monday 29 February 2016

Oscars 2016 Fashion

So the biggest awards ceremony of them all occurred last night and it was definitely worth the wait and that's not just because after nearly 25 years in the business Leonardo Decaprio finally won the Oscar he has always deserved. It was about time wasn't it? And with a captivating message about global warming at the ready, we were pleased Leo finally got to share his anticipated acceptance speech with the world.
However, in regards to the fashion, nearly every actress' choice for the night was on point but if I am brutally honest, the one person I was anticipating to see who has been religiously taking garments from the wardrobe of Louis Vuitton and making them a statement of her own all awards season, fell flat on the red carpet in comparison to everyone else. (No I do not mean she literally fell but you get what I mean.)
Yes, I am on about Alicia Vikander and yes it pains me to say it because I have gushed so confidently about her previous show stopping looks throughout the past month, but this one I just found myself wallowing in disappointment due to her Disney princess fashion disaster.

You can scroll down to see why but first as always I have brought to you my favourite looks of the night with hope that you also agree with me.

Firstly I am going to start with the elegant Cate Blanchett who excitingly channelled a frosted floral garden narrative with her Armani Prive gown. Her dress is so current to 2016 as it can be noticed that three dimensional flowers are gradually becoming a huge trend for the spring season. Therefore, this dramatic gown had real design elements and complimented Blanchett's porcelain skin superbly.



My next look and possibly one of my favourites from the whole awards season even though it may not be a popular choice, was this couture Givenchy dress worn by Rooney Mara. Although the gown paired with her ivory skin and deep red lip channels a 'gothic ghost bride' kind of look, the intricate lace detail and delicate draping silhouette is something that can't go unappreciated. The dress even allows the actress to be seductive with the revealing of her torso via a structured diamond cut out and ruffled slit up the skirt. However, by covering her shoulders and wearing a long arm length dress it maintains the elegance and slight innocence of this angelic gown.



Stunning: No doubt the 30-year-old actress turned heads as she made her way to the star-studded gala held at The Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, California

At first I was not too sure about this Dior gown worn by Jennifer Lawrence for the star studded night, but the more I looked at it, the more I became obsessed. Perfectly styled with her short freshly dyed blonde bob, the star wore a dress that was adorned with heavy feathering and a contrasting plunging lace detailed top for a dark protagonist look. However, by wearing a nude lip and minimalistic make-up she manages to tone this dramatic look down to incorporates both a daring and graceful attributes to reflect her sweet yet powerful personality.
Although it does appear similar to the dress Cate Blanchett wore for the BAFTA's, Lawrence has put a youthful spin on the feathered look which allows her to stay on trend and true to her age.


It would not be the Oscar's if there was not a lady in red and the star who was embodying this seductive character in true spirit during the event was Charlise Theron in this Dior creation. The dress was ever so simple but with a powerful tone of red like this one, the dress did not need any more fuss added to it. The dress also compliments Theron's lean, slim figure which allows her to pull off the deep plunge and string shoulder detailing so effortlessly and wow the paparazzi and her fellow Oscar nominees.



I mean I suppose it is not that bad, but there is something about it which just scream's "I stole my grandmother's lemon soufflĂ©, turned it into a dress and covered it in glittered embellishments because I had no time to get fitted at Vuitton not "I am a million dollar actress who will be taking home an Oscar tonight". Obviously I am not just blaming Vikander because this is not the best I have seen from Louis Vuitton either and that is something crazy to say since I basically live and breath fashion right now.
I get the whole lets channel Disney princesses because to be fair it is a growing trend for 2016 with the arrival of Beauty and the Beast in 2017 and the recent adaptation of Cinderella last year but does it really translate well onto the red carpet? I just feel like for an actress with such ground breaking, dramatized roles in some of the biggest movies of this year, her fashion should be communicating other revolutionary and innovative themes instead of the innocence youthful look we have already seen once at the Golden Globes and this current one which portrays a modernised image of Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Her outfits have already been jaw dropping the past two events in a cool modern way that appropriately reflects her age, surely she could of given us a third one to remember for the right reasons?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© KATE FERGUSON. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig