Tuesday 8 December 2015

Old Spitalfield Market and Brick Lane

Two of my favourite places to visit when go to London is the Old Spitalfield Market and Brick Lane to get lost in the vintage stores and street art.
 
Old Spitalfield Market
Even though Old Spitalfield Market has been around for over 350 years, still to this day, every week different businesses set up their stalls in the market to sell their own innovating, idiosyncratic merchandise.
 
Whilst I visited Spitalfield Market, I purchased a couple of cool things that I thought I would share with you in this post and if you like them, I have provided the link to the retailer's website where you can purchase them.
 

Festive Specs
These 70's inspired sunglasses are my favourite buy from the market, not only because these circular specs are extremely on trend but the lenses are actually interchangeable.  So your basically buying six pairs in one! Festival specs provide six different colours such as blue, pink, yellow, green, brown and black lenses to experiment and mix with. My personal favourites are the brown lens however, if you're going for that bohemian, hippie look then I would suggest you try the pink lenses!
 




 
Rio Fashion Week 2013
Festival Specs have even been featured during Rio Fashion Week in 2013.


Shelala Book bags by Aysim Akter
So I didn't actually buy one of these as I already have one very similar but how amazingly creative are they! The Frida Kahlo and Lolita one's were my absolute favourite but each one is so iconic in its own way that I had to get a photo of them all together.



Just a quick pic of my bag that is styled like a classic novel purchased from the website 'Disaster Designs'.

Long & Son inside out bags
So while I was in London I was on an endless hunt for a bright orange shopper bag and I had actually seen one in TopShop that I was about to buy. However, whilst I was wandering around the market, I stopped by the Long & Son pop up store because I was so intrigued by their different colour bags and found exactly what I was looking for. To make it even better these bags were interchangeable to, (similar to the sunglasses, I know) therefore, I purchased a two in one bag consisting of a black side and an orange side. The bag is the perfect size and fits all my essentials in for university such as stationary and note pads. If black and orange isn't for you then you also get combinations of blue and white, black and pink and many more! Also, the bags come with a smaller bag inside which can be used as a clutch or make up bag!
 
Long & Son don't just offer this one type of bag but also sell various different styles in many colours!
 





Moving towards the end of Spitalfield market, I then came across an old alcove in a derelict building that was filled with vintage clothing rails and artsy posters. Similarly to the shops I am about to mention, this extended part of the Market has hundreds of individual, hipster clothing on offer and is especially good for leathers, fair isle jumpers and checked shirts.






Vintage outfit goals^^
 
 
A Trip down Brick Lane
 
 Whilst passing, I thought I would get a couple of shots of the inspiring street art that adorns the walls of Brick Lane.
 
The area of Brick Lane, located in East London, was once known as a poor area associated with the crimes of Jack the Ripper. Now, almost 128 years later, the Lane is now home to a mixture of edgy art galleries, vintage stores, boutiques and authentic curry restaurants.  









 

 
 
 
 
Blitz Vintage London
So now for one of the best and biggest vintage stores I have ever been to in my life. Yes, I know that is quite a big statement, but if you ever get the chance to visit, I am sure you will agree. Owning the title of the biggest vintage store in Europe, Blitz London also offers a selection of old school vinyl's and many different brands for men and women such as Illustrated People, Gypsy East and Agora Clothing, alongside vintage clothing that is probably older than your grandmother.  
The shop consists of two floors of endless retro and individual attire that is bound to differentiate you from everyone else around you. So make sure you stop by on your next trip! Blitz even has a café located at the front of their store that is offering a free glass of mould wine this winter with every purchase but if that is not for you, they still sell coffee, tea and cake.
 It is also number 9 on Time Out's London's Best Shop Guide and in Vogue's Top Ten things to do in London.
 
 










 
 
Absolute Vintage
Absolute Vintage is a lot smaller than Blitz but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot to offer. The store is devoted to purely vintage items, indicated by the word 'absolute' and is the perfect place if your looking for an old pair of scuffed military boots, a vintage trench or a 1990's plaid skirt.
 
Also if your a student and visit the store in January, Absolute Vintage is offering 20% discount on Tuesday's when you show your student card!
 
 
 


 
 
 
Old Spitalfield Market and Brick Lane is one of the best places you can visit iF your a vintage lover  and into quirky innovating pieces like me so make sure you stop by one day!
 
Thanks for reading!!
 
  
^^^^^^The Vintage Store, 182 Brick Lane^^^^^^

 
 
 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© KATE FERGUSON. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig