Tuesday 29 December 2015

Places to visit in New York (Before my Visit)

So after waiting just over two months, in two week's time I will eventually be boarding a plane to New York City with other Fashion Communication and Promotion students for a university field trip and I can't express how excited I am!! Although I have visited New York twice before and I am already aware of quite a few destination to visit, I wanted to put together a blog post about places I intend to visit whilst I am out there during the January month and what I am interested in doing. I am also excited about visiting New York this time as I will be a lot more mature than I was the last time I went. Therefore, there is a wider variety of cultural and fashion associated places I would like to go to while I am out there which I have learnt about recently and that will hopefully be beneficial to my current studies.
Obviously I have not visit the city since 2014 therefore, a lot of things will have changed. However, below is a list of the top eleven things I hope to do (some places I have already visited but it would be nice to see how they have changed) and the reason why!


The Metropolitan Museum of Art

One part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art that I am really looking forward to visiting is The Costume Institute. The institute houses over 35,000 costumes from past centuries and present day and has even had the likes of fashion icons such as Diana Vreeland work as a special consultant in 1972 creating amazing costume exhibitions for the public to view. Furthermore, the Costume Institute has also showcased exhibitions that define true fashion such as Poiret: King of Fashion, Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty and Rara Avis (A exhibition dedicated to Iris Apfel).
Upon my visit to New York whilst researching the museum, I have come across an exhibition that is on show called Jacqueline de Ribes: 'The Art of Style' in the Costume Institute. The exhibition features haute couture and ready-to-wear garments from the style icon's archive dating all the way back to 1962 up until the present day. However, the exhibition also tells the story of the De Ribe's fashion journey from playing dress up as a child to becoming one of the biggest international fashion icons of all time.

The Art of Style:  November 19th 2015- 21st February 2016

Comtesse Jacqueline de Ribes

MOMA

The Museum of Modern Art is another gallery dedicated to modern and contemporary art in areas such as photography, sculpture, printmaking, drawing, architecture, design, film, and media and performance art in the city of New York. However, they also showcase exhibitions of the works of artists from around the globe to embrace cultural diversity and other social, political and economic issues in the world. Similarly to the MET, I have looked into a few exhibitions that I would like to see while I am around the area of Manhattan during my visit in January. For instances, the exhibition, 'Oceans of Image: New Photography' offers a theme of work based on digitally imposed photography and the influence of the internet has on images today. I feel as though this exhibition would be beneficial especially since during the first term of my degree course we have been learning how to use photo shop and in design as applications for photo editing. Another exhibition I would like to see is the 'Scenes from New Heritage: Contemporary Art from the Collection' which displays art work based on political, social, and cultural problems that have changed the global landscape as well as previous events or artistic traditions that have shaped the way art is interpreted today.

Exhibitions:
Scenes for a New Heritage: Contemporary Art from the Collection: On now until the 10th April 2016
Oceans of Image: New Photography: On now until the 20th March 2016


Coney Island
As for my third place to visit in New York, this one is a bit of a childhood dream I have had for a long time, after watching Brittany Murphy take Dakota Fanning to Coney Island to ride the tea cups in the film Uptown Girls back in 2003. Although I have grown up a lot since this film came out, it is still one of those places I would like to tick off my bucket list and say that I have visited. Therefore, hopefully it lives up to expectations!
 
Brooklyn Bridge: Dumbo
Short for 'Down under the Manhattan Bridge' Dumbo is the neighbourhood that lies between Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge. I have heard many people recommend this destination whilst visiting New York especially if you're wanting to get a perfect shot that's definitely Instagram worthy. However, the area also has so many places to eat, play or shop whilst still offering various artistic venues for those looking for a cultured experience upon their visit. Also for any Gossip Girl fans out there like me, this area is also where the Humphrey family live during the hit TV series and that's a reason in itself to visit!

The Humphrey Loft in Gossip Girl

Central Park
If there is one vital attraction to visit when you go to New York, Central Park definitely takes the lead. With their very own zoo, castle, gardens of blooming flowers and nature and an ice rink, Central Park is a day out in itself filled with cultural, historical and leisurely fun. While I visit, I plan to go to the Wollman Ice Rink since it is a winter tradition in New York and January is the perfect time to do the activity. Even if I may or may not be the best ice skater in the world, it is still something I would like to tick off my bucket list.
Furthermore, Central Park is also a destination for filming certain scenes in three of my all-time favourite films 'The Devil Wears Prada', 'Eat Pray Love' and 'Remember Me'.
The Devil Wears Prada, the Runway Magazine “Urban Jungle” photo shoot in Central Park.


Magnolia Bakery
Magnolia Bakery is known for their delicious cakes, baked American goods and of course, the moment Carrie Bradshaw and Miranda Hobbes stopped for cupcakes to gush about their love lives in the West Village bakery during the TV series 'Sex in the City'. This may be a very clique thing to do in New York but it is definitely one I have wanted to do for a while and I look forward to trying one of their classic deserts.

FIT Museum
Out of all the places I have listed so far, I am especially looking forward to visiting the Fashion Institute for Technology Museum during my time in New York. With exhibitions such as Denim: Fashion's Frontier and Fairy Tale Fashion on display throughout the January month, it will be eye opening to see the history, symbolism and influence behind certain garments and the relationship they have shared with the fashion industry such as editorials, runway shows and the designers themselves.

Denim: Fashion's Frontier: December 1, 2015 – May 7, 2016
Fairy Tale Fashion: 15th January 2016- April 16, 2016

Fairy Tale Fashion at MFIT Manish Arora
Manish Arora, dress, 2010 (remade 2015), France. The Museum at FIT (illustrating Alice in Wonderland)


The Fashion Walk of Fame
Located in the Garment District (also known as the Fashion District) of New York, along 7th Avenue between 35th and 40th Street lies 28 plaques that celebrate the talents of iconic American fashion designers. Designers from the past and present such as Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Diana von Furstenberg, Betsy Johnson, Oscar De La Renta and Marc Jacobs are just a few names who have been awarded a plaque on the ground by a panel of fashion experts for their contributions to the fashion industry over time.


Chelsea Market
Also known as the Meat Packing District, Chelsea Market is another interesting place I would like to visit in NYC. Although the market isn't truly fashion related and is known as an iconic place to eat, I still think it would be beneficial to visit due to the multiculturalism of foods and influential cuisines from all around the globe that are sold in the indoor food hall. Tuck Shop (Australian), Rana (Italian), Takumi (Japanese) and Buddaken (Asian) are just a few eateries that have brought their traditional dishes to the market to ensure visitors leave with a memorable cultured experience. However, there are still many true American retailers and food halls to eat in throughout the market such as the Fat Witch Bakery, The Tippler and Freidman Lunch.

Item ImageItem ImageItem Image

Soho
Once known as the abode to galleries and studios for aspiring artists in New York, Soho (South of Houston) is now a modern area in NYC characterised by the culture of shopping due to the growth of unique little boutiques and fashion outlets over the past few years. Although I have visited this area a few times before, I would still class it as one of my favourite places in New York city for shopping as it offers that hint of individuality and personality to New York that you do not find down the likes of Fifth Avenue where Gucci, Prada and other international high end chain stores take territory. Obviously there are quite a few high end brands within the neighbourhood but one thing I will mention, is that SoHo is great for is there variety of high street brands, the visual merchandising each window has to offer and various furniture, eyewear and cosmetic stores.


I will definitely be paying a visit to Opening Ceremony and Brandy Melville during my time in SOHO!!

Top of the Rock
The two previous times I have been to New York I have been to the Empire State Building. However, this time I would like to go to the top of the Rockefeller Centre to see the view of New York City as an alternative thing to do. Apparently the best time to go is at sunset or at night to get a real good look at the city that never sleeps and the amazing skyline. Furthermore, although the view is a good enough reason alone to visit, there is also the Rockefeller Centre's art, architecture and history to look at alongside stopping for a bit of retail therapy in the stores they have to offer.


The High Line
The High Line is another destination in New York that people have recommended for me to visit. The High Line is located in the Meat Packing District and was once part of the New York's Central Railroad. However, the old railroad has been re-designed and is now known as an environmental park for taking great photographs and for lovers of nature to take a walk along and enjoy the view of New York from a height. It might not be a view anything like the Top of the Rock but I would definitely like to take a look around!


The aerial greenway crosses 20th Street in New York


Obviously alongside visiting all these different places I will be doing ALOT of shopping!!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© KATE FERGUSON. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig