Tuesday 19 January 2016

New York Minutes: Places to eat in New York

Hello everyone! I hope your enjoying my New York Minutes series so far! As for this post it is not so much fashion, but something still quite exciting, as I am going to share with you a couple of the delicious meals I ate over the past week in the states, at some of the best all American and cultural restaurants you can get. If there's one thing I will tell you straight away, it is the fact that American portion sizes are DOUBLE the size of any meal you will find in the UK so I can confidently say I was extremely, and a bit too, full after each dish I ate! But they were completely worth it!


Bubba Gump Shrimp Company

So for our first meal in the Big Apple, we decided to go to the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company in Times Square. If you're a fan of the 1994 film 'Forest Gump' starring Tom Hanks, you will be in your element. I have dined there many times before during my visits to the states and can guarantee if you're a seafood lover, you can't go wrong with this place. The staff even quizzes you on your knowledge of the film before your meal to really set the tone of the night. Furthermore, if you're an extreme fan, the restaurant even plays re-runs of the film for you to sit and enjoy while you dine, to add to the already eccentric atmosphere that takes over the movie themed diner. The restaurant even provides cool, retro 'Run Forest Run' and 'Stop Forest Stop' signs at your table as an easier alternative to catch a busy waiters attention or to tell them to carry on going when you do not need their assistance. Good idea or what?

Don't worry if you're not going to New York any time soon either, as the chain have a Bubba Gump's restaurant in London alongside twenty nine others in various cities in America.

Bourbon Mahi Mahi
Here is a quick photo of the meal I had called the Bourbon Mahi Mahi, which was Charbroiled Cajun spiced Mahi Mahi with Bourbon Sauce and grilled Shrimp, served over mashed potato. I am not normally very daring with food but this was amazing!




Olive Garden

The Olive Garden is a great restaurant, especially for family outings and if you're a fan of a combination of Italian and American foods. The restaurant even offers a free salad bowl, soup or bread-sticks with your meal as an appetizer to ensure you receive the full experience of their delicatessens.  When I visited, I ordered the Fettuccine Alfredo which was a bed of fettuccine pasta tossed in a creamy rich sauce. Similar to a carbonara but a pasta with that extra bit of taste and Italian originality. You can also order this pasta with shrimp or chicken to enhance the flavours of the dish.

 I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you're tired of burgers, steaks or ribs and looking for something not so heavy but still cultural.




Uncle Sam's Burger

This burger hub was a life saver on our trip to New York as it was actually right at the top of the street of where our hotel, the Wolcott, was located and meant we did not have to venture far for something to eat. The takeaway styled restaurant offers a selection of burgers and sandwiches but with an alternative oriental flare of Asian toppings and spices to deliver a range of fine Chinese cuisine.
I ordered the Top Dog with a side of French fries which consisted of a griddled hot dog, bbq bacon, scallions, pepper jack cheese and sichuan chili which were all layered on top of a soft bun. The hot dog was not what I was expecting at first and it is not normally something I go for but it proved to be a great choice and something I would have again!



IHOP

The International House of Pancakes is possibly the best place in the states for that all you can eat American breakfast.  From a stack of blueberry pancakes, to Belgium waffles then a bacon and egg sampler, IHOP offers anything and everything possible for the ultimate breakfast combo. I ordered the Bacon and Egg breakfast with a side of strawberry and banana pancakes and a hash brown and somehow I managed to eat it all.



Bagel Maven Café

If you're looking for the perfect sandwich on your lunch break, Bagel Maven on 7th avenue, offers a great selection of different meats, salads and dressings but one thing I will mention is that these sandwiches are that huge I would be surprised if you managed to finish it in one go. But that does not mean that they are not completely worth your money. I visited this café on two occasions, ordering a peppered turkey sandwich the first time then a Cajun chicken sandwich for something a bit more adventurous the second time.


Giovanni Rana's

If you read my 'Places to visit in New York' blog post from before I went, you may have seen that I had included a brief section about Giovanni Rana's pasta restaurant at Chelsea Market. So I was really excited when I finally got to experience the restaurant properly one evening on our trip. Not only does the restaurant offer some of the best pasta I have ever tasted (sorry Olive Garden) but the décor of the shabby antique restaurant filled with old bicycles and rose gold pots and pans decorating the ceiling, just added to the authenticity of the place. At first we had a little trouble understanding the menu but something about not knowing exactly what was going to arrive at the table just made the meal much better.
Upon my visit, I order the Pork Sausage ravioli which had been cooked fresh and was of exquisite quality. The pastas may have been a little expensive for someone like me who brought majority of their money to splurge in Sephora, but I would highly recommend the restaurant to anyone planning on visiting Chelsea Market as I know next time I am in New York I will be stopping by again!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© KATE FERGUSON. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig