Monday 7 August 2017

My Summer So Far...

Hi everyone!

Sorry that it has been so long since I last updated my blog! Things have definitely been non-stop since finishing my second year of university. However, I thought I would fill you all in on what I have been getting up to in the mean time. Apologies if my writing skills are not as up to scratch as they were; it has been far too long!

 Although I have not really mentioned it in any of my recent posts, recently I took part in a four week long placement in London at the online lifestyle and fashion magazine, SheerLuxe. As an aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to go into a job in editorial or copywriting after completing my studies at Trent, I could not have asked for a better place to gain experience. The magazine offers a range of different areas for young, style-savvy women to enjoy reading in their spare time. From dealing with friend troubles, conquering that summer diet or mastering the perfect emoji red dress, SheerLuxe is always one step ahead of the game when it comes to all things on trend and I was more than inspired and grateful to gain the opportunity to work alongside their team for a month! As most of you may know last year, I completed a three month placement at the E-commerce brand, Jules B, in Newcastle, so this placement definitely had a lot of similarities. However, this time I was going it alone in London, a long way from home up North and as you can imagine, I only had CityMapper to help me out!

Anyway back to my placement, during my time at SheerLuxe I was able to take part in an array of jobs that any intern in the fashion industry would love to take part in. From running errands, to working on the website, sourcing images and uploading content, to spending endless hours scrolling through ASOS to find the perfect summer cover up for readers of the magazines upcoming holiday! As a reader of the online magazine myself, it was great to get a glimpse of the behind the scenes of such a fast paced and inspiration publication. Not only did the placement reassure me that this is definitely the sector of the fashion industry I would like to go down but it also taught me a lot about myself as a professional in the industry...

Therefore, here is a few tips I would give anyone who is about to / or planning on taking part in a placement in the near future!

1) Always smile; it may seem like not a lot but in an office working 9-6 every day, a smile can go a long way to get your fellow colleagues through the long hours!

2) Don't be late! Probably an obvious one but imagine yourself as a worker who has interns helping them out! Your relying on them and therefore, although you may think differently, you definitely have a great deal of responsibility whilst your at the company.

3) Ask questions! If your stuck on something, don't just sit around and wait to be told what to do. Go up to whoever your shadowing and ask them for help. At the end of the day, they would be more happy to take a few minutes out of their day to help you than it be done wrong! Even if your not so confident, like myself unfortunately, you have nothing to lose by asking questions, only knowledge can be gained!

4) Make yourself remember. I'm not talking about singing and dancing around the office of course. However, I am talking about the little things like asking if your colleagues would like a cup of tea or asking them how their evening was. Even when you are nipping out to the local Tesco Express on your lunch; ask a colleague if they want anything or if they fancy nipping out to.

5) Lastly, editorial meetings! Even if you feel scared to speak up, always suggest an idea. Whether it is lousy or not, it shows that you are keen and that your mind is always working. You are dedicated to the publication already by taking part in your internship so why not exceed yourself and share your ideas. Not only will you impress your colleagues but it shows that you are aware of their USP and values as a company and are forward thinking when it comes to lifestyle and trends.


One last message, if anyone reading also would like to take part in an internship with SheerLuxe, alongside your studies or if you are just trying to get an idea of what you would like to do in the future, SheerLuxe run internships every four weeks for aspiring girls or boys looking to get their foot in the door, so check out their website for more details!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© KATE FERGUSON. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig