Friday 25 November 2016

NOW Gallery: Molly Goddard's 'What I Like' Exhibition

Since I am a fan of getting involved in any type of artwork that surrounds me, I was especially excited to view the interactive exhibition 'What I Like' by Molly Goddard at the Now Gallery. Consisting of five oversized tulle dresses that were hung from the ceiling of NOW Gallery, each dress has been displayed on a pulley and can be raised or lowered to a height at which visitors can sit and embroider directly onto the dresses.

As a lover of sewing and knitting myself, I found the exhibition so interesting to get involved in as I was able to put my skills to the test and create some patterns and designs of my own to show off my creative flare and add my own individuality to the netted dresses. It also felt good to be able to add my own ideas and contribution to such a acclaimed and public piece of art where others can then go onto add their own response to and experiment further!

Overall, although I did not have the time to spend all day sewing 'what I like' onto the dresses (as I was just briefly visiting) I did manage to take a few snap shots of some of the most intriguing embroideries that other guests had added to the dresses. Out of all of the dresses, I definitely enjoyed sewing onto the lighter grey dress the most, using an array of pink threads because I feel it allowed my work to be seen more powerfully due to the visual contrast between the grey and pink tones. I also liked how both of the tones communicated a calming and muted aesthetic to reflect the relaxation of the activity which is something I wanted to portray in my piece.

On my last note, if you are looking for an activity that is both enjoyable, therapeutic and a great way to gain a new skills whilst showing off your personality creatively, I would definitely suggest going along to this exhibition with a friend or family to experiment with your own embroideries.

My contribution to the exhibition:

Other people's contribution to the exhibition:


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© KATE FERGUSON. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig